Books you should read. . .

Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Some books I've read lately that are well worth your time to pick up:

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)
From Goodreads: Also Known As: Two Pearls of Wisdom, Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye, and Eon (All the same book just published with different publishers)
Eon has been studying the ancient art of Dragon Magic for four years, hoping he'll be able to apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But he also has a dark secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been living a dangerous lie for the chance to become a Dragon-eye, the human link to an energy dragon's power. It is forbidden for females to practice the Dragon Magic and, if discovered, Eon faces a terrible death. After a dazzling sword ceremony, Eon's affinity with the twelve dragons catapults him into the treacherous world of the Imperial court, where he makes a powerful enemy, Lord Ido. As tension builds and Eon's desperate lie comes to light, readers won't be able to stop turning the pages.
 
My review: Some books burn bright and hot but quickly fade. Some burn steady and strong for generations. Eon is the latter. With it's detailed worldbuilding and intricate plot, Eon is sure to become a classic of high fantasy.

In a word: Brilliant.

*And it's a high fantasy with a female MC! BONUS! Plus, I have a really hard time finding writers that write in a similar vein as me--high fantasy with a female MC. Alison is my girl. She's a lot heftier on the world building side than I am, but we're close enough to use the "if you like Alison Goodman, you'll like Amber Argyle."*

Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
From Goodreads: Yara Jones doesn’t believe in sea monsters—until she becomes one.
When a hurricane hits her island home and she wakes up with fins, Yara finds herself tangled up in an underwater world of mysterious merfolk and secretive selkies. Both sides believe Yara can save them by fulfilling a broken promise and opening the sealed gateway to their realm, but they are battling over how it should be done. The selkies want to take her life. The merfolk want something far more precious.
Treygan, the stormy-eyed merman who turned Yara mer, will stop at nothing and sacrifice everything to protect his people—until he falls for Yara. The tides turn as Yara fights to save herself, hundreds of sea creatures, and the merman who has her heart. She could lose her soul in the process—or she might open the gateway to a love that’s deeper than the oceans.

Young Adult fans of Mermaids, Selkies, Sirens and Gorgons will love this tale of the sacrifice one makes for genuine love. Love that could be lost at any moment to the ever-changing tides.

My review: Finally! A mermaid book I can sink my teeth into. The main character is bull headed and brave, which I love. Paranormal is usually a young, innocent girl falling in love with a monster. This time, Yara is the monster, and the weight of the mermaids' fate rests on her shoulders. A refreshing twist. I can't wait to see more from Karen Hooper.
 
What are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    I really loved the Eon series. I felt like they were so well done, and they're ones that I'd recommend to anyone.

    Haven't read Tangled Tides yet, but it's on my list!

  1. Anonymous said...:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  1. Ems: I didn't like the second one nearly as much. I have a hard time with series that revolve around a secret, the revealing of which would solve the conflict.

  1. I'll have to check out the Eon books. I haven't heard of them before. But I loved Tangled Tides. :)

    Right now I'm reading Aubrie Dionne's Tundra 37 (sci-fi romance), and next I'm reading Tamed by Douglas R. Brown. :)

  1. I've heard great things from TangledTides. Eon, I have not heard of, but the cover alone sells me. :)

  1. Michael: It has more than one. I like the one with the girl better, but they're both fab.

    Cherie: I LOVED it.

    Dave: Read it. Do it now. ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...